Thursday, October 11, 2012

In Bloom

     "Ladies and gentlemen please relax, fasten your seat belts, and please enjoy the ride! We are heading off to Greenland!"
     As the plane takes off, I do what I do best; read a book and occasionally look out the window , take pictures of the clouds and mesmerizing view. A couple hours later i dozed off and went into a deep sleep.            The next thing I know. . .
     "Ladies and Gentlemen please push back your tray, set your seats, we will be landing in a few minutes."
     "Excuse me ma'am, would you like some water?" came from the mouth of a flight attendant that looked like she belonged in in a 1950's movie. With her blond, short hair with curls at the bottom, deep red lipstick, and legs that went on for miles. The men on the plane were obviously trying to get her attention, some acted like gentlemen and others were just pure pigs about it. She obviously didn't fancy any of the men.
"Umm. . no thank you" I replied while mumbling in my brain of my upcoming adventures.
     The plane soon landed and I was off to start a new life. As soon as I stepped a foot outside I wanted to wrap myself in 20lbs of covers, sheets, and blankets. I was cold but happy, excited, every single emotion was going through me. It was a feeling I haven't felt in a very long time. I loved seeing my breath and couldn't wait to see what could possibly come next.
     While i was waiting to get checked and everything, I met this guy. He looked 2 or 3 years older and he looked lost. Now I'm not very good at making friends but I though "Hey you came here to make a new you, right?" so I went off and tried to start a conversation. I figured if he was lost, might as well have 2 people and try to help each other out.
     "Hey. . umm are you lost?" yep, those were the words  that came out of my mouth, He was obviously lost and I was over here asking a stupid question!
     "Not really," he seemed to have thought about it a little and then started again, "Well maybe a little. I'm looking for my way out of here, my family should be somewhere around here." He stood on his toes and began to look around. He sort of reminded me of Chris McCandless. He had the same hair style and same skinny body, just subtract the facial hair.
     "Oh, so you know your way around?"
     "Yeah, a little. I come around here when I can afford my plane ticket. How about you?"
     "This is actually my first time even leaving home."
     "Oh so the bird finally left the nest, I see."
     "You can say that, I guess." We laughed and kept talking. We made it out the airport and started to say goodbye when I remembered we didn't even know each others names.
     "Hey! Wait! What's your name?"
     "Maika, Maika Lea." he started to walk away again when I remembered I was going to catch every moment with my camera. I flt like a stalker but took out my camera and took a picture if his back because he was walking away. I put my camera back and started walking, well kind of stomping because of the snow. I didn't know where to go so i looked around for a while, letting my feet take me away.
     I ended up at a supermarket, with the little money I had left I bought some vegetables and fruits. Danish kroner, that's what I had to turn my american dollars into.
     "Ah so we meet again." I heard someone say behind me. Out of instinct I ignored it and continued looking for what I could afford. Then someone tapped my shoulder and I turned around. It was Maika!
     "Hey! What are you doing here?"
     "Nothing, just passing by." We started talking and then he seemed to have remembered something.
     "You got my name but I didn't get yours."
     "Oh, it's Lizbeth. But call me Liz."
     "Okay, Liz." he said with a smile on his face. Turned out his parents were looking for someone to rent out their spare room. And boy did I need somewhere to stay! It was extremely lucky! So I took the room and he showed me around.
     Days turned into weeks, weeks turned into months and months turned into years. Before I knew it I had been in Greenland for about 3 years. I stayed at Maika's house helping out his family with the cleaning and cooking. They should me their food recipes, the mom was kind enough to leave out the meat, and I showed them some of my favourite dishes, I found out they were originally from Ireland. It was interesting what I took from their ways of life and what they took from me.
     I met a new family and actually made friends. It was very exciting to travel away from New Jersey. As I was walking down their stairs into the living room I slipped and banged my head on the railing. . .
   
     "Is. . .be okay?. . "
     "Yes. . .a couple. . .I don't know. . ."
     My head was throbbing like never before, I felt dazed, nothing was clear. I heard crying in the background and then it drifted off to sobbing. . . What was going on?
     "Lizbeth! Lizbeth! Please wake up!" Mom? She was all the way in New Jersey. Why. . .why could I hear her so clearly now?
     "Lizbeth please wake up, you're mother, she's very scared and doesn't want to lose you . . ." The voices drifted off again.
     Little by little I started seeing lights, nurses, doctors. Voices of strangers coming and going, shoes hitting tiles, doors closing, people waking up, crying. . .I was hearing all these things. But how? I'M IN GREENLAND
     "Mom?" I could barely say the words but they came out clear enough for her to hear me.
     "Oh Lizbeth! You're awake!" more crying. . .
     Then a male voice I have never heard before came along and joined them.
     "She's going to be okay, the fall wasn't that bad and her head just needed some stitches  She'll have serious headaches but we have medication for that,"
     "You're going to be okay Lizbeth, don't worry" my mom was still sobbing, but I could tell it was from joy.
     "I just hope you learned your lesson." my dad's strong, deep voice boomed in the small room.
     "What lesson?" I slurred.
     "We told you not to go rock climbing without a helmet. But teenagers these days, wanting to be rebels and not caring about safety. . " my dad started a lecture.
     That's when it hit me. . .


MusicPlaylistView Profile
Create a playlist at MixPod.com

No comments:

Post a Comment