"Are you okay?" my mother's lips mouthed, I had to pay close attention to make out what she said. Slowly I felt my head nod. I could not answer in words, sounds, nothing. All I could do was nod or gesture with my hands.
This silence has been with me since birth. Sometimes I walked with my mother, grasping tightly at her hand, wondering what everyone might be saying. Would they be talking about their day? Making plans to see a movie? If so, what movie? I wanted to hear them so desperately. I wanted to know how a car engine sounded, how birds sang in the morning, how a stranger whistled as he walked by. What sound did my feet make as they hit the pavement? What about my mother's feet? Would they make the same sound? Would it be louder or lower? I wanted to be able to hear everything around me. Everyone else took advantage of the sounds cruising through their ears. In one ear, out the other. I wanted to make the sounds go through my right ear, close my hand over my left ear and just let it bounce around inside my head. Soak in every moment, every little flaw that sound may have.
"Good job!" Ms. Adams signed to me. I had finally learned to sign. It felt great to use my hands for something other than pointing. I could actually create words in the air, using these very fingers that I once thought were useless. I never thought it would be me finishing sign class. Boy, does it feel great! My mother took lessons too, she did not have to, but she did it for me.
"Isn't this fantastic?" my mother signed, "Now we can communicate in a completely different way!"
"Yes, I know. This is wonderful!" I signed back, struggling a little, but the message went across. Ms. Adams told me I was ready to leave the lessons and go off on my own.
"Thank you." I signed to Ms. Adams, "You have been very kind to me."
"No, thank you for joining us everyday and never giving up." she signed back. She smiled at me, gave my mother a hug and we said our goodbyes.
When we reached the front office, my mother reached into her pocketbook and took out the last check, she looked at it for a while, I wonder what she was thinking, then almost reluctantly handed it to the lady. She looked upset about leaving this place.
I tapped my mother's elbow.
She turned to me, "Yes?" she signed.
"Are you okay?" it was my turn to ask her.
"I'm fine, just got attached to this place. It brought us closer together."
"You are my mother, we will always be close." and with that being said, I hugged her and the lady gave us a receipt. We walked out the glass doors together, hand in hand.
When we made it home my mother made sure I was safely inside and I'm guessing the phone rang because she signed "Give me a second." and walked to the kitchen. I followed her in and she had a smile on her face. Her lips were moving too fast for me to read. I had no idea what she was talking about or who was on the other line. I always wondered what it was like to talk to someone through a telephone. Something so small connecting people all over the world and bringing them closer together.
My mother and I ate dinner and soon it was time for bed. She kissed me goodnight, turned off the lights and left the door ajar. I could not seem to fall asleep, tossing and turning were occupying my bedtime. I turned to the window and stared at the gleaming the stars. Hours passed and I began to doze off.
Before I knew it, it was time to get up. The sun was up, shining all over the little town we lived in. I lay in bed and stretched when my mother walked in and stood in front of me.
"Good morning." she signed with her wonderful smile spread across her face.
"Good morning." I signed back.
"Let's get you ready to go out, I have a surprise for you!" she signed, almost to excited to finish the sentence. She moved across my room with such grace, it seemed like there was nothing to rush for. I got up off my bed and followed her around trying on the shirts she showed me. She knew by my face if I liked it or not. After a couple minutes I was dressed and she was gathering her pocketbook from the kitchen table.
We stepped into the elevator, hand in hand. I could feel her pulse, her heart was beating fast. It made me feel warm inside to be able to feel her pulse on my hand. She had not been this excited in a long time. Seemed like when Father left, her happiness was robbed from her. Of course she did not let it show around me. I was not fooled though. One quick glance in her green eyes and I could see her sadness. I loved my mother very much and it hurt to see her this way. I tried so hard everyday to make her feel better, make her feel special. Her smile appeared more everyday, and that made me happy.
"Where are we going?" I signed.
"You'll see soon, it's going to be great!" she signed back.
I stopped asking questions, took hold of her hand again and let her pulse settle into my hand. The elevator reached the lobby and we headed outside. When we walked, we did not say much. She knew I was looking around trying to create sounds. I liked when she knew when to say something. She knew that when we walked, I wanted to pretend I could hear. She knew that when the television was on not to interrupt, I was trying to read the lips of the news broadcasters.
We came upon a large brick building. It had giant glass doors. You could see inside, they had colorful furniture and games for kids. There were stuffed animals on the walls, stickers on the tables, large chairs for adult, along with small chairs for the children. My mother squeezed my hand and looked down at me with the same giant smile. I smiled back, getting nervous from not knowing what to expect. We walked in and she pointed at the toys. She wanted me to go play while she talked to the receptionist.
I walked over to the table and began to gather puzzle pieces. Every time one landed on the table I wanted to know how it would sound like.
A hand landed on my shoulder. It startled me, since I was deep in thought. I turned around and saw my mother.
"You scared me." I signed to her.
"I'm sorry, the doctor wants to see you." she signed back.
"For what?" I asked.
"You'll see." she took hold of my hand and walked me to the room. It seemed to be a couple minutes before the doctor came in. He wore a name tag, it read "Dr. Montzco."
"Hello, I'm Dr. Montzco. I'm assuming you are the mother?" he asked as he shook hands with my mother. He seemed to know I was reading his lips as he spoke slowly and clearly. It was a comforting feeling to be able to know what they were saying.
"Hey there, scout!" he signed to me.
"Hello, nice to meet you." I signed back.
"Has your mom let you know why you are here?"
I shook my head.
"Oh, so it's going to be a surprise, I see." he said with the same genuine smile my mother wore all day.
"May you let me know what it is?" I signed feeling sick in the stomach.
"Of course!" he signed back as he turned to face his small desk by the wall. He seemed to be looking for something.
I looked at my mother and her smile extended. I was the only one who didn't know what was going on and the suspense was killing me. Even though I knew it was only a couple of seconds, it felt like hours passed before Dr. Montzco turned back around. He was holding something in his left hand.
"Turn your head for me, please, to the right." he said out loud, my mother heard him. He spoke slowly for me to read his lips again. I did as I was told.
He opened his hand in front of me, to show me what it was. My mother went around and stood in front of me as Dr. Montzco went towards my left ear.
"He's going to put that device in your ear. It won't hurt, I promise." my mother signed as she took hold of my hands.
I felt Dr. Montzco cold hands go to my ear, the chill of the device going inside my ear. I didn't know what it was, but trusted my mother. Dr. Montzco worked on the device, adjusting it to my ear. It took a couple minutes before I saw his face again.
"Does that feel okay? It doesn't bother you or anything, right?" he signed.
"It feels a little strange." I signed back.
"That's normal, you aren't used to it yet."
"What is it?"
"You want to hear things around you, am I right?"
My eyes opened wide. This could not be real. It was a dream. There was no way this little device could grant me the gift of hearing things."I'll take that look on your face as a 'yes'" he signed with a smile.
I stared at him, not knowing what to do.
"Are you ready?" he signed, my mother's hold on my hand tightened and I turned to look at her. Her eyes were watering, but she was smiling like never before.
I turned back to face Dr. Montzco and nodded my head with a grin on my face.
"Very well then! I will turn a nob on your device, it's called a hearing-aid. Once I turn the nob, you will be able to hear things. They will be loud to you, as you are not used to the noise. Don't worry, everyone gets afraid at first." he explained and then moved to my ear again. I felt a nudge on my ear and slowly started to hear. . .sounds!
He wasn't joking when he said most people get afraid. I couldn't believe what was going on around me! It was like a new light flashed before my eyes. Dr. Montzco was smiling and so was my mother, she had a camera in her hand when I looked at her again and snapped a picture. Tears coming down her cheeks, faster this time.
Dr. Montzco gave me toys that squeaked, a little radio, different types of toys. Everything making a completely different sound. The music, soothing and touching, it floated through the room. The toys making louder sounds.
Dr. Montzco and mother had a soft conversation, I stopped playing with the toys as soon as my mother's lips moved and the most beautiful sound came out. She had a soft voice, filled with a mother's care, kindness, and pure love. I jumped off my seat and my feet hit the floor with a "Thud!". I looked down, stomped my feet, the sounds were different with every step I took. I ran to my mother, the sounds were louder. I hugged her so tightly and felt her tears pour onto my shirt. Her sobs were beautiful, just like her.
"I love you." she spoke. I touched her lips. They were soft, just like her voice. It made me cry, the sound fascinating me.
"I love you too." I signed. I was so ecstatic with the fact that I could hear my mother's voice that I did not notice Dr. Montzco had left the room. My mother and I just stood there. Looking at each other with tears in our eyes. I hugged her tightly and for the first time ever, I fell asleep in her arms to the sound of her heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment